Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Photo Essays

-My life in GLPS-

A few weeks ago, I started attending an English camp, GLPS. It’s held by the Korean Minjok Leadership Academy. It's a wonderful camp and I today, I'd like to introduce you a few things about the camp with a few pictures!
 
The GLPS camp!!

The first picture is the overall GLPS camp. It is short for Global Leadership Program for Students. It’s in Kang-Won-Do, South Korea. This camp is 3 weeks long, in the winter and the summer. With teachers teaching different subjects like Debate, Presentation, P.E. and Writing to the students, from ages 5th grader to middle school 2nd grader, live in the dormitory and move from buildings to buildings to listen to the classes. There are five main buildings that the students use. Dormitory, Dasan, Choongmoo, Gym and the English building. The objective for this camp is to improve the English skills of students and to learn how to live with others in a new environment. I think I chose well to come to this camp because it is helping me a lot to improve myself in many sides!
 
 

The devilish E.O.P. paper
 
There are lots of rules and regulations in this camp and one of them is the E.O.P. (English Only policy). You have to use English, anytime and anywhere. If you don’t use English and get caught, you get the evil E.O.P. paper. Basically, what the E.O.P. paper is is a paper with a paragraph from a book or famous sites and you have to memorize it in the 24 hours. Last Friday, I got caught while speaking Korean by a teacher and had to memorize it with the friend that talked Korean too. It was not fun, obviously, and was really frustrated when I could not memorize it fast enough. I hate E.O.P.! It’s really annoying.
 
 
The Gym
 
One of my favorite subject is P.E. We learn it in the Gym. In the first week, we learned Kendo, in the second week Tae-Kwon-Do, and in the last week, we did some activities as a group. There are two male teachers and they’re really funny but when they’re angry, you don’t exactly want to know what happens. Because there is ice on the road to the Gymnasium, I fell a lot of times, and so I do not really like going to the Gym. In the gym, there are lots of sport instruments to play and practice on. It smells musty, like a storage in a school that doesn’t get used a lot.
 
 
Our Sweet Dormitory

This is my temporary home. It’s on a hill comparably higher than all the other building so it stands out. There are 13 floors including the basement. My room is on the 7th floor at the very end of the hallway. I have 4 roommates, and they are very nice. The twelfth floor is the cafeteria, the eleventh floor is the study floor, and the rest is the dormitory. I personally like this building the best out of all the others, because I can rest here. I do the things that I consider my favorite. Eat, Sleep, and play. When, I come to the dormitory I feel like the warm air is welcoming me to stay. I love my dormitory!
 
 
Snowfighting!!

It is still snowing till now, and it has been snowing for the last two days. Our class is a little bit active and so likes to play a lot. So when it snowed, everyone when out in the snow and had a snow fight. Some of the mean, violent boys poured snow over the girls with a shovel that was lying on the ground. It felt really good to face the snow but on the other hand, I felt really cold with ice cold water dripping on my back. With my bare hands, I made extraordinary snowballs and targeted them at the boys that made me so cold. Snow fighting was so fun and I’d like to have one again!


My life in GLPS camp is very hard, but while I face difficulties I find the enjoyments altogether too. I am learning a lot of things and I recomment you to come to this camp too!


 
 

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree that EOP is annoying. I had to keep EOP for three years of my high school years in KMLA. However, I must tell you that keeping EOP really helps you a lot. I certainly think that EOP is one of the best programs of GLPS. Don't worry too much about Yellow Cards, since those cards become pretty-colored trash when you walk outside this camp.
    Thank you for sharing your personal experiences in GLPS along with many pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can know your feeling about GLPS, it was great! I want to have fun with you at school, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings about GLPS on your blog. Remember to keep in touch with your new friends via your blog. Wishing you all the best in your future studies.

    ReplyDelete